The most common mistakes in teeth whitening
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular procedures, aiming mainly at the cosmetic effect on the smile. There are many ways to do this - effective and not so effective. In general, we can divide the methods of teeth whitening as follows:
3.Bleaching at home under the supervision and with prior consultation with a dental specialist
It is difficult to say which of these three types of approaches to improving tooth color is most commonly used. In fact, each of the categories enjoys its own popularity. Another issue is that not everyone achieves a satisfactory and long-lasting result. Among the folk remedies for teeth whitening, for example, are quite risky tips for home treatment of problems such as plaque and yellowish tint on the enamel. Moreover, even if some of the holistic approaches show results, they have a rather short life. Dental procedures involve a more invasive intervention, such as laser teeth whitening. With it, the feeling of discomfort during and after therapy could be a serious problem for people with sensitive teeth. That is why this type of teeth whitening is not recommended for everyone.
When teeth whitening at home, but with careful monitoring and recommendations from a dental specialist, control, expert approach and ease of the procedure are achieved. It is important that all patients strictly follow the instructions of dentists.
On the other hand, no matter what type of teeth whitening procedure you choose, there are serious risks to both your health and the beautiful appearance of your smile if you make the following mistakes. They are, by the way, quite common in the approach and practice of patients who are looking for ways to achieve the dream Hollywood smile. See what NOT to do if you want more beautiful, snow-white teeth:
- Do not take any action on your own initiative, ie without prior consultation with a dental specialist. Even the most innocuous remedies such as splattering with herbal solutions and decoctions can bring you terrible side effects, not only on the teeth, but also on the entire oral cavity. In this warning, perhaps, we will exclude only one piece of advice in folk medicine, according to which for whiter teeth it is advisable to consume certain foods, such as strawberries, apples, nuts, carrots, onions and celery.
- In no case do not regularly and with sharp and strong movements rub your teeth with a paste of water and baking soda. Many patients find a significant difference in the color of their teeth after regular practice of this procedure. Unfortunately, however, it leads not only to illusory whitening of teeth, but also to their sensitivity. Moreover, soda can severely damage the enamel. By the way, the temporary result of bleaching that you see is most often due to this side effect - the deletion of a certain layer of enamel. However, this should not make you happy, because the function of enamel is to protect the tooth. Thinning is followed by significant problems for the entire tooth.
- Do not start teeth whitening procedures - whatever they are - without first making sure that your teeth are healthy. The cosmetic effect is important, but it should always be secondary when the treatment of caries, pulpitis and the like is on the agenda. If you plan to whiten your teeth, first go through your dentist's office and, if necessary, undergo medical therapies.
- Do not underestimate any of the recommendations and instructions of your dentist, if you have chosen home teeth whitening with braces. Although this is a relatively simple and easy procedure, and does not require the intervention of a specialist throughout its course, following its steps is essential.
Do not neglect the condition and especially the hygiene of your teeth after a successful whitening intervention. In most cases, after whitening, teeth are exposed to an even more serious risk of yellowing, so now you need to be especially careful in their maintenance - regular cleaning with quality products, use of mouthwash and floss, if necessary, reduction to a minimum consumption of wine and coffee, without smoking!
- Do not take a whitening procedure (home whitening with splints or in a dentist's office) more often than once every three years.
Beauty requires sacrifices. A white tooth requires a systematic, informed and always in line with the opinion of your doctor approach!